Operation Management Logistics
You are required to carry out an investigation of the operations strategy process of the firms in the Canadian manufacturing or services industry. You are required to provide an appropriate report on your investigations. The report should be written in an appropriate management report format.
You are required to carry out an investigation of the use or potential use of an Operations Management technique/tool in a local business firm (manufacturing or service organization), and to provide an appropriate report on your investigations. The report should be written in an appropriate management report format. The content should cover the following areas:
• a brief overview of the operation of the organization selected highlighting its operational features;
• an explanation of the concept/technique to be investigated and its significance to the organization and to the general operations management subject area;
• a detailed analysis of either how the technique is currently in use in the company, or how the technique could be adopted and used by the firm if it is not presently doing so;
• an action plan and strategies for implementation of this new technique/approach;
• a brief overview of the value and benefits (including potential productivity or efficiency or quality improvements) to be gained from the use of the technique, including, if possible, some idea of dollar savings or profit increase;
• details and recommendations if at all possible as to how you might improve the operation looking at it from the management viewpoint.
Students should are free to cover any other matters relevant to their particular investigation. Please see Blackboard site for more details. The topic for the project should be selected in consultation with the organization where you intend to undertake the project study. If in doubt, please take the approval of your professor before starting the project.
In your project report, you must clearly indicate your source of information, whether it is your observations and analysis, or discussion with organizational personnel, data collected from the organization or any other sources. Standard referencing is to be followed. The length of the field project report should be a maximum of 2,500 words (excluding abstract and appendices – approximately 10 pages). In addition to a hard copy you are also required to submit a soft copy.