Write two pages on “Nell” the Movie https://youtu.be/C0Klk_duRb8
Write four Interpersonal Communication concepts on the movie “Nell”
Questions to reflect on as you watch or just after watching the movie:
1. What is the speech culture for Nell? Others? How do they intersect? Why is her “language” distorted?
2. Language vs. communication: what interpersonal skills does Nell have not necessarily relative to language itself?
3. Thought/Meaning/Language: how does that develop throughout the movie?
4. How and why is non-verbal communication important? Are there “negative” non-verbal communications?
5. What is the communication between Nell and Mary?
6. Why do the psychologists discuss the object/subject self? What don’t they understand?
7. How does the concept of object/subject self change as the movie progresses?
8. What is the looking glass self? How does that change? Relate symbolic interaction, linguistic determinism and linguistic relativity to this.
9. How do we see sympathetic and empathetic listening?
10. Who is ethnocentric in the movie?
11. How does your understanding of Nell’s language change for you from the beginning to the end of the movie?