Clinical Field Experience A: I Do, We Do, You Do
Allocate at least 2 hours in the field to support this field experience.
Part 1: I Do, We Do, You Do Observation
For this field experience, you will observe your choice of a Grade K-8 class during the introduction of a new literacy concept. Coordinate with a Grade K-8 teacher to find a time to observe the introduction of a new literacy concept.
During your observation, take notes on the teacher’s instruction and complete the “I Do, We Do You Do Template” to identify the methods your mentor teacher uses when introducing the new concept in literacy. Not all teachers will use the same models, but do your best to identify the IWY components observed in the lesson plan. If the teacher does not use the IWY strategy, then explain his or her teaching strategy.
Part 2: Teacher Collaboration
After observing the literacy lesson, collaborate with your mentor teacher, take notes, and discuss the following:
- What instructional methods do you use when introducing and teaching a new concept in literacy?
- Does your model include direct instruction, guided practice, and independent work?
- What strategies do you use to create class interaction and discussion?
- Can you give examples of how you differentiate for your students?
- How do you assess your students’ understanding of new concepts being taught?
- How do you accommodate the engagement and understanding of atypical students?
- When and where do you find the most gaps when introducing a new concept in literacy?
- What are your reflections on the overall degree of effectiveness of your model for teaching new concepts in literacy?
- How do you seek professional opportunities to improve instructional practices in the area of literacy?
Ask additional or follow-up questions as appropriate. Be sure to take notes regarding your teacher collaboration on the “I Do, You Do, We Do Template.”
Part 3: Reflection
In 250-500 words, summarize and reflect upon the observations and collaboration about the instructional strategies that were implemented during the literacy lesson. Explain how you will use your findings in your future professional practice.
Submit the “I Do, We Do, You Do,” template, teacher collaboration notes, and reflection as one deliverable.
APA format is not required, but solid academic writing is expected.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. Refer to the LopesWrite Technical Support articles for assistance.
Document the locations and hours you spend in the field on your Clinical Field Experience Verification Form.
Submit the Clinical Field Experience Verification Form to LoudCloud in the last topic. Directions for submitting can be found on the College of Education site in the Student Success Center.