SEC 10-K Paper
You will be asked to select a company that is publically traded. You must research and secure the SEC 10-K Annual Report for the most recent year. This is often available at the company web site. Look for “Investor Information” or “Company Information”. Save the file to your computer for access. There is no need to print as the report is usually 100 pages or more.
4. You will write a 2 – 3 page paper, single spaced, one inch margins, 12 pt font, with double space between paragraphs. Your paper should comment on the financial statements for your company as they relate to the information presented in chapters 13-18 of your textbook, including the notes to the financial statements. ** Use headings in your paper such as Investments (topics from our textbook; other examples would be Financial Ratios or Cash Flow). Please keep your paper to no more than 3 pages The report will be submitted after Chapter 18. Do not consider information from Ch 19 – 26 in your paper.
5. Take care to avoid academic dishonesty. Write your paper, read it, and edit. Use your own words.
6. Please include a brief introduction of your company as well as a conclusion/summary at the end.
7. You will also be required to include the Income Statement, Balance Sheet and Cash Flow Statement as an attachment to your report (you can cut and paste directly from the 10-K report).
8. APA style is required for citations and a reference list.
9. Ask questions if any of the requirements are unclear.
10. Additional guidance for your paper and resources:
11. Page count does not include title page, tables and exhibits, table of contents, and reference list
12. Please include a title page (include your name on the title page)
13. Include a reference list (business classes use APA format)
14. Include in text citations (business classes use APA format)
15. Your paper should use one-inch margins on the left, right, top, and bottom of each page, and font set at 12 point.
17. Write your paper, in your own words, using accounting words from our textbook and explaining how these relate to the financial statements of your company
18. Our discussion postings during the semester should assist you in completing this paper
19. Visit the Accounting Toolbox in the Course Content of our Leo Classroom
20. The Accounting Toolbox is a constant resource in our UMUC undergraduate accounting courses
21. Links and explanations to assist you with this paper may appear in this resource
22. Additional information will be posted in the Week 1 Discussion area of Leo Classroom. Please make sure you review carefully and ask questions if you have any.